Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Art of Packing for the Peace Corps

If I was interviewed and asked about the hardest part of joining the Peace Corps, I would say that the greatest challenge has been packing! Forget the 12-month application process, the multiple mini-applications, and the much anticipated interview- packing has been the greatest challenge thus far.

For all of my readers that are not and have not been Peace Corps volunteers, I will give you a brief guideline of the packing rules and regulations.

I am only allowed TWO checked bags with a total of 80 pounds. (Neither piece of luggage can weigh more than 50 pounds). If I am traveling via a domestic airline in Mozambique, each bag must be under 45 pounds. (The catch? I will not know if I am traveling via a domestic airline until 3 months into my service). The total dimension of my bags must not exceed 107 inches. The most difficult guideline: I can keep ONLY ONE of my bags for the first three months of service.

Packing gets a little more complicated, because Mozambique has a tropical climate with two seasons, a wet season from October to March and a dry season from April to September. I am arriving in September and will only have one piece of luggage until December, during which the temperatures will range anywhere from 45 degrees to 80+ degrees!

Packing was quite a challenge, but with the help of my mom we got it done in a week! My advice for future Peace Corps volunteers- start packing early.

No comments:

Post a Comment