Thursday, September 29, 2011

Finally On Solid Ground

I arrived in Maputo, Mozambique this morning after nearly 20 hours of EXHAUSTING travels. Mozambique is BEAUTIFUL (I am trying to upload a few pictures I took from the hotel, but my internet is now in Portuguese and I'm afraid my two weeks in Portuguese class has not prepared me for this). After arriving this morning, we were sent to medical interviews and a vaccination session. Sadly, I got three shots and I believe I have at least one more coming tomorrow. After finishing with our Peace Corps business, most of us sat outside and enjoyed the breathtaking view of downtown Maputo.

Just before dinner I got a present delivered to the hotel- my bag arrived! It turns out that my bag was left in Johannesburg and was sent on the afternoon flight to Maputo.

Tomorrow we have a busy day of training sessions starting at 7 am. In addition to our training sessions, we must also give the Peace Corps one of our bags to keep at the office. This bag will be a little reward after ten weeks of extensive language and cultural training. On Saturday we take an hour and a half ride out to Namaacha to move into our home-stay families' houses. I cannot wait to meet my family and start my Portuguese training.

Sadly I will not be able to update my blog as often as I would like in Namaacha, because there are only two computers at the Peace Corps office.

2 comments:

  1. How is the weather? Glad your bag arrived. Can't wait to see some pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Laurie and Uncle GarySeptember 29, 2011 at 8:34 PM

    Glad to hear that you (and your bag) arrived safely. We look forward to following your adventures. Stay well! Love AL and UG

    ReplyDelete